I love creating my own printables. I have used Microsoft Word, Canva and Picmonkey to make organizational printables as well as fun graphics printables. In this tutorial I am going to walk you through the steps of making your own printables using Picmonkey.
For the past few years, I have had fun using Photoshop to create my own graphics and design. Photoshop is an awesome graphic designing software that has numerous features that graphic designers love to use to showcase their creativity. But Photoshop has posed a challenge for graphic designers who are looking to design something simple yet creative without having to look for so many options.
Picmonkey is a free online photo editor that can be used to edit or create your photos. In addition to editing, you can add effects, filters, frames and text to your images. You can also upgrade and become paid Royale member. I have used Picmonkey to create Mother’s Day Cards, Father’s Day Gift Tags, Christmas Invitation Cards, Cupcake Toppers, DIY Bookmarks and much more. It’s always so much fun to play around with filters and effects, it can actually be quite addictive 🙂
So if you have always wanted to create your very own printables, make sure to follow my step by step tutorial on ho to make printables using Picmonkey. We are going to make Mother’s Day card. I hope to keep it as simple as possible.
1. Goto http://www.picmonkey.com
2. Click on “Collage” button. A square will appear in the middle of the screen. Here you can choose the canvas based on what you are planning to design.
3. Click on the “Layout” button on the left hand side menu. Depending on what kind of printable you wish to make, you can select the layout of your choice. Since we are creating Mother’s Day card, I am going to select two squares, so that we can fold it after printing to be attached with potential gift.
4. You can change the size of the card. I reduced the size to 600×300.
5. As you can see the spacing around images has increased in size, you can reduce it by clicking on the “background” button on the left hand side menu. Drag the spacing button to 5, 3 or how much spacing you wish to keep around those images. I kept it to 3.
6. After fixing the spacing, let’s click on “Swatches” button on the left hand side menu. Click on the drop down menu, and select “Sweethearts” option.
7. Out of the different designs available in the left hand side you can pick the one of your choice. Since this is going to be the Mother’s Day card, I picked the hearts design. Drag the swatch to the middle of the square. It will look like this.
8. Since we picked the design for our card, let’s decorate and edit it some more. Click on “Export to Editor” option on the top. You will be asked if you are happy with the design because you won’t be able to edit it after this. So make sure that you have made all the changes, added all the graphics before confirming.
8. Once in editor, click on the “Overlays” button on the left hand side. Click on “Hearts”.
9. You can change the color of heart, add more effect and filter with the graphics option.
10. You can also add other cute critters, bugs or creatures from the left hand side menu.
11. Add the text to this graphics. Click on “T” on the left hand side. Textbox will appear with the textbox to select the font style, color and size.
12. Drag the textbox in the center of the heart. Type the text using your keyboard.
13. Change the font style, color and size to your favorite style. This is what it looks like after I selected the color and style of my font.
14. Since this is going to be a card with a mason jar gift, I am going to be tying it with the mason jar using baker’s twine. So I need two small holes in the card. Adding two circles will help with making the holes.
15. Click on the “Overlays” on the left hand side menu. Click on “Geometric” option and select the circle. Click on it, and the black circle will appear in the middle of the screen. Drag it close to the crease of the card. Using the textbox editor, reduce the size and make it white.
16. To create another similar circle, click on the circle and select “Duplicate Overlay”
And that’s it! Your Mother’s Day card is ready for the special occasion. Simply print it on a good quality paper, fold it in the center and tie it with your gift.