Since I created a blog post on How to Start a Blog, I have been getting lots of questions about the technical aspect of blogging, mainly what to do after you set up your brand new blog.
Not the growing your blog part, but how to install a new theme on your blog.
I have been blogging for a while now and have tried a few different themes.
Of all, I love Genesis Framework and child themes that you have to install on top of Genesis Framework.
This step by step tutorial explains in very simple terms, How to Install Genesis Framework on WordPress.
There are a few requirements to follow the tutorial in it’s entirety, main one being you have to have WordPress installed and not any other platform.
Before installing the Genesis Framework you need to have self hosted WordPress account.
Checkout this guide on How to Start a WordPress Blog, as the Genesis framework needs WordPress to function. Once you have WordPress installed, proceed to the next step.
Note: The Genesis framework should be installed before you can install any of the StudioPress child themes. The child theme will look for the properly installed framework, so be sure it’s there.
This post contains Affiliate Links. Please read our Disclosure Policy
Step #1 : Download the Genesis Framework
If you not already, first you need to buy and download the Genesis framework on your computer. Visit your StudioPress download page to download the framework and/or child theme (optional) in a zip file. Remember that the framework comes with a default theme in case you do not want to buy any extra child theme.
Step #2 : Upload and Install the Genesis Framework
The next step is to upload and install the framework first before you can install any child themes.
- Login to your WordPress admin area. To access admin panel directly, the url in your browser address bar should look something similar to http://www.yoursite.com/wp-admin.
After the login page appears enter your username and password and press the Log In button.
- Once you are logged in to your WordPress admin area, go to Appearance > Themes
- On the themes page click Add New button at the top.
- Once clicked, the top of the page will look something similar to the following.
- Click “upload theme” button and on the next screen browse for the framework zip file and then click Install Now button as shown in the following image.
- After the framework is installed you need to activate it. Click on the Activate link.
- After activation your Genesis Framework is ready to use with the default child theme. You can customize it’s properties by going to the Genesis section in your admin control panel as shown below.
Step #3 : Configure Genesis Settings
Genesis Framework should now be installed on to your website and you are now ready for customizing it according to your requirements.
If you want to start a blog yourself, make sure to read through my step by step tutorial on how to start a blog where I walk you through the whole process of money making blog. If you sign up using my link, you will be able to get hosting at discount rate through Bluehost for only $3.95 per month. You will also be able to get a FREE Domain.